Friday, April 16, 2010

Theme Song?

One of the largest connections of jazz music is the context of the lyrics. Now almost all types of music discuss relationships in their lyrics; however, I feel that jazz music often pictures and describes only a few types of relationships: the finding of love, the simple and real courtship/love, songs of longing for the return of love and the depressing break-up. Some of my favorite examples of these catergories are: "When I Fall in Love" (Lettermen), "Little Room" (Norah Jones), "Write to Me from Naples" (Dean Martin), and "Between the Lines" (Sara Bareilles).

Almost all jazz songs are centered on a mellow aura containing the most important aspects of life: love. It's very easy to relate to jazz and to feel the passion through the artist. No matter the time or type of jazz almost all of the songs are focused on this key element.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with this, and I think that though love is a very agreeable topic about which to write a song, I think the "ultra-focus" on it has lead to the dramatization of it in popular culture. What once used to be a sort of private affair if you will is now very much in the public eye, and I'm not sure if that's is for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only problem with most jazz songs having a common theme is that if you just list the lyrics then jazz would all be the same. Therefore the music (ie singers and musicians) behind it makes it jazz
    And Autumn I kind of agree with you. I think that people need to find a different term of romantic-feeling then love. The word has been so over used now that it's become almost boring

    ReplyDelete